WHAT UP BLOG FAM.
Are you as much of a bread fan as me?
Maybe have some bread recipes of your own that aren’t vegan but you, oh so wish you could make them be?
Well, ya came to the right place! Because I just did that. With this recipe. I’m a wizard, Harry.
Now let me tell you this bread’s origin story: I first happened upon this mouth watering almond bread recipe when I decided I wanted to start eating healthier.
FLASHBACK: a 20 year old Rebi buys a Cooking with Trader Joe’s: Vegetarian cook book at a South Florida Barns n Noble. She peruses the pages. Grilled lentil wraps. Pesto pita pizzas. Boursin roasted red pepper penne. Black bean and ricotta-stuffed portabellas.
And Almond Bread.
Mind you, 20 year old Rebi is not a vegetarian. She is still eating meat, but is curious about starting a more plant-based diet.
FAST FORWARD: Rebi has made so many recipes from that book. Practically everything BUT that dang almond bread. She goes to France. Becomes pescatarian for 4 months. *read my travel section for reference* Returns to the states and is vegetarian for 1 month. Then goes vegan.
And 1 year and 3 months later, she continuously remembers that she hasn’t made that bread. But it’s on her mind. Every time she flips through that Trader Joe’s book, the recipe stares at her. Gawks at her. Begs her to bake it…
So Rebi FINALLY goes to her local grocery store and buys the VEGAN ALTERNATIVE FOR THE “REQUIRED” DAIRY AND EGG INGREDIENTS. And produces…a fantastically satisfying loaf of completely VEGAN almond bread. Recipe below. You’re welcome.
This is: #veganized
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 16 oz. bag of almond meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 5 flax eggs (simply combine 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 2.5 tbsp water for 1 FLAX EGG. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes. The consistency will be like that of a raw, runny egg.)
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 cup of Vega vanilla cashewmilk yogurt alternative (this adds protein AND creaminess. Necessary.)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Preheat dat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit
- Add the almond meal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder to a large bowl (or directly into a loaf pan if you’re short on kitchenware…or just don’t want to do a lot of dishes like me). Mix thoroughly with a spoon or whisk to combine.
- In a smaller bowl or pan (?) mix n whisk your beautiful flax eggs, agave nectar, and plant protein yogurt.
- Add the wet mixture to your dry one and mix it up!!
- Pour into loaf pan, if it’s not in there already. Top off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. *PRO TIP: imagine the salt bae meme while doing this*
- Place on the center rack in the oven and bake for 55 mins. Check with a toothpick to make sure it’s cooked completely through.
- When it’s completely cooled, run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan and slice away!
BONUS TIP: Spread your favorite jam on top of it and enjoy with a warm cup of organic coffee for breakfast! 🙂 My fave is Sprouts’ Organic Fig Jam ❤
You can all thank me later for this one.